Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Without Music, Life Would Be A Mistake

— Nietzsche

I have spent many hours in recent days numbering and cataloging our music CD collection.  I know all the music should just be moved to my iPod, but it takes a long time to transfer all that music.  Out of a total of 360 CDs (after setting aside more than 50 for my next trip to Goodwill), I have only 63 on my iPod.

THE ECLECTIC MIX... BEFORE NUMBERING

So, the CDs are all numbered, listed on a spreadsheet with their corresponding genre, and placed in vinyl sleeves (8 CDs to a sheet).

SOME OF THE MESS AFTER NUMBERING BUT BEFORE "SLEEVING."

All I have left to do is buy binders for the CD pages; two or three should do.  The binders will be packed in a box and shipped to Spain (except for a travel pack we'll take with us on our road trip to South Dakota).  Once we're in Spain, I'll have to figure out what to do with them all.  We currently have a 5-foot-tall, swiveling CD tower; I don't want to haul that around the world — or have it take up space wherever we settle.  Maybe I'll just put the binders on a bookshelf.

NOT LIMITED TO:  THE ESSENTIAL BRUCE SPRINGSTEEN, MOBY, IZ,
BACH, LOTS OF BROADWAY, AND PLENTY OF BETTE MIDLER

And, yes, Jerry, I understand from past experience when I first organized the CDs on the 5-foot-tall, swiveling CD tower all those years ago that some of my music classifications (my so-called genres) are confusing to you.  That's why you can also sort the spreadsheet alphabetically or search any keyword.  And, of course, you can continue to do what you always do: Pretend there's no order whatsoever and hunt.  (Just like the cookbooks and the spices.)


Speaking of spices... when we get to Spain, should I alphabetize the spices by their English or their Spanish names?

3 comments:

  1. The spreadsheet is the best way to go for everything as it is searchable.

    Hey, while turning my machine off I noticed it going black (comatose). Now for the stretch: The USSR is now Commie Toast. Ugh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such organization of CD's scares me Mitch! I rathe rlike the "hunt" when I'm looking for something specific. I think I need to employ you to come and organize my life!
    As for the spices... unless you are fluent Spanish speakers, perhaps English is best for a while :))

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Craig: I think the reason I like to organize "things" so much is because the idea of an organized "life" is beyond my comprehension!

    ReplyDelete

Please visit www.movingwithmitchell.com if you would like to comment or stay up to date. I stopped posting here and reproduced all previous posts, as well, 25 September 2018. Thanks!!!