Sunday, July 10, 2011

Random, Roaming, and a Bit of Beefcake

We have one more day here in New York.  Jerry and I are spending a couple of hours at Starbucks getting caught up again with the cyber world.  We then get to have lunch in Park Slope, Brooklyn, with an old friend we haven't seen since we left Connecticut in 1993. We are really looking forward to that.  This evening will be spent having a buen viaje dinner with my mother.  Perhaps we (Jerry... he's a saint) will do a load of laundry in the morning.  Another visit to Starbucks.  And we'll then pack and head to the airport.  The reality has not set in.  I think we'll both be overwhelmed with the excitement once we get on the plane tomorrow.

WAITING FOR THE NUMBER 7 IN THE HOT AND HUMID STATION.

We made a trip to Grand Central Station for lunch with two people very special to us. I had hoped to take a lot more pictures and do a lot more posting during our stay in New York.  There has been so much to shoot and share.  But, time did not allow it.  So, I'll instead just share some random shots taken with my iPhone in recent days.  We spent a few minutes in Grand Central Market and walked away with a bag of chocolate-covered raisin clusters for Jerry and SUGAR-FREE (and still delicious) chocolate-covered cashews for me.  The chocolate Statue of Liberty and Empire State Building looked like fun.

AND TO THINK WE WALKED AWAY WITH ONLY A HALF POUND (.226 KG) OF CHOCOLATE.

We had dinner last night in Rego Park, Queens, with long-time friends who are so kind and always ready to brave NYC traffic just to get together with us.  They chose another amazing restaurant — London Lenny's — which bills itself as the best seafood restaurant in Queens.  I wouldn't argue (although it's the ONLY seafood restaurant in Queens I've ever experienced). 

LONDON LENNY'S BROILED SCROD, SCALLOPS, SHRIMP, AND SOLE.  SUPERB.
(AND SO HEALTHY THAT I COULD ALLOW MYSELF A SLICE OF KEY LIME PIE.)


We returned home from London Lenny's to discover that my mother's co-op was experiencing a blackout.  We turned the corner to discover emergency vehicles, police cars, pedestrians, stores, and five high-rise buildings containing 2,500 apartments all in the dark.  The co-op runs on its own power plant, which at times can be a plus.  It was just about the only neighborhood lit up during the major blackouts in the Northeast.  Fortunately, we only had to wait 20 minutes until power was restored.  But, then came the ride to the top in the elevator with Jerry, who was convinced the power was going to fail again and get us stuck.  We made it!

IT WASN'T LONG BEFORE WE SAW THE LIGHT.

The other night, Jerry, my mother, and I were all too tired/lazy to head back out for dinner, so Jerry offered to just scramble up some eggs and make some toast.  Now, if I were the one offering to scramble eggs and make toast, you might be served — if all went well — scrambled eggs and toast.  Jerry, the master chef (and former caterer of Russian dinners), doesn't know how to keep it that simple.  He scrounged my mother's refrigerator and produced what my mother and I would both call a gourmet scramble — with a side of fried sweet potatoes, and a blueberry/strawberry garnish.  I think he's a keeper.

JUST A LITTLE SOMETHING JERRY THREW TOGETHER.

Before leaving Irvine, Jerry and I shipped off all our old family 35mm slides to have them digitized.  The two disks arrived and we have been having a wonderful time tripping down Memory Lane.  I found an old "beefcake" shot of me poolside in Lancaster, Pennsylvania.  I was 15 at the time.  It might be better described as "beefSTICK" since that was more my shape.


BEEFCAKE OR BEEFSTICK.  YOU DECIDE.

12 comments:

  1. Hello Mitch:
    Now we have seen it all - or very nearly!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Exiting, only one day to go before you both cross the Big Pond to Spain.

    Nothing much has changed between then, at 15, and now, same great smile!

    ReplyDelete
  3. J&L: I promise that's as much of the "all" as you're going to see! (Although there is a very revealing shot of me in the tub -- at about 6 months.)

    Peter: So exciting. And thanks, but at least I no longer weigh 17 pounds dripping wet!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you look great for 15 - those hairy legs :)
    Have a good flight and look forward to hearing from you on the "other side"!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Have a very safe and uneventful trip. And don't be surprised to see the paparazzi on the other side. That photo will have all of Europe buzzing. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Busy busy busy! You're next blog is probably going to be from here in Europa. I do hope you're going to tell us the flight was hitch-free.
    Btw: Your 15-yr-old self had one hell of a tan at that time. I see you were already getting accustomed to exhibiting yourself, which I hope you kept up - and you'll be showing us your later-in-life visual evidence.
    Hope very much that the rest of your travel plans goes fine.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Walt the Fourth: Ha... Or as the Spanish say, Ja! I look forward to being on the same continent as you both... Can't believe that will be the case in less than 24 hours!

    Raybeard: (autocorrect just changed your "handle" to Rainwear!) Thanks as always. As for the tan, I worshipped the sun and my skin has paid the price. Maybe it's time for Tan in a Can!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lancaster? That's just down the road from me! Now I'm mad that you didn't look me up. Beefstick, beefjerky, all the same to me.
    Listen, if I don't see or hear from your again, have a great time on your flight to your "new world".
    Your Friend, m.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mark: Oh you'll see and hear from me again. It will just be from the other side of the Atlantic. Sorry I missed you when I was in Pennsylvania ... when i was 15!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mitch,
    I wish you the best and safest travels. I am quite jealous that you are going to Spain and I am not. I hope you find all the enjoyment and pleasure your deserve.

    We will be watching for all the new posts about Spain and your trip.

    Scott
    www.travelwithscott.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Scott: Thanks! About to get a good (I hope) night's sleep in Málaga. Can't wait to wake up to our first morning in our new home country!

    ReplyDelete

Please visit www.movingwithmitchell.com if you would like to comment or stay up to date. I stopped posting here and reproduced all previous posts, as well, 25 September 2018. Thanks!!!