Saturday, September 27, 2014

But I Get Up Again

Yesterday afternoon I was out on the terrace and I noticed we hadn't completely reattached the corner yucca (one of our three large yuccas) to the wall since repositioning it a bit during the summer. I thought, "We'd better take care of that before the cyclonic winds return."

Oops. I awoke during the night to the sound of a crash outside followed by the tumbling of stones. The cyclonic winds had returned and it sounded to me like the yucca had gone down again. I peaked through the bedroom window and, sure enough, it was not where it was supposed to be.

IT GETS KNOCKED DOWN...
MOOSE WANTS A CLOSER LOOK...
IT GETS UP AGAIN.
DUDO INSPECTS FROM A SAFE PERCH.
THE WIND IS NEVER GONNA KEEP IT DOWN... 


I headed to the living room, planning to go out through the slider to retrieve the yucca and move it to a protected spot until morning. But it was pouring. I began to open the door, but it was being buffeted so hard by the winds that it was actually difficult to slide it and the gust that blew into the living room would have blown the hair off my head... if I had any. So, I decided to wait until the calm of morning and I went back to bed. San Geraldo slept through it all.


This morning's sounds of the surf...


The yucca is alive and well ... and vertical again. We'll rewire it later today. It's amazing what that plant can survive.


With gratitude to our yucca for today's inspiration...

20 comments:

  1. And we haven't even reached October! Still, it's good practice for you. You'd better start strapping D & M down. (The same straps and chains you use on San G should be okay.)

    That Chumbawumba is one of my most favourite records of the last 20 years (right up there with Kylie's 'Can't get You Outta....'), so gratitude to you for giving it a re-run.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Raybeard:
      Dudo and Moose are smart enough to stay inside when the weather is even slightly unpleasant, which is a good thing because we've already used those other straps and chains on the yuccas. This song is also one of my favorites!

      Delete
  2. By my counting, that must be four times down.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Andrew:
      I'm impressive (and grateful). Yes, I think it IS four times. It's now wired to the wall again and it didn't even jiggle in the last winds.

      Delete
  3. Obviously, Dudo is upper management and Moose is labor.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bob:
      I laughed out loud at your comment. And you've got them pegged exactly.

      Delete
  4. Mitchell, your flower is nice but I love Dudo my lovely creature..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosia:
      Thanks so much. I adore these boys and often hope I'm not nauseating my readers with pictures and stories of them.

      Delete
  5. A tipped yucca is most upsetting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Spo:
      And a four-times tipped yucca even more so. There should a word for that. You know: Twice-tipped, Thrice-tipped... FRICE-tipped!

      Delete
  6. It almost seems like your yucca is trying to escape.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stephen:
      Ooh, thank god it didn't go over the wall!

      Delete
  7. OH NO! Not the return of those CYCLONIC WINDS!!
    You know,Mitchell, there is theory in the plant world that it does a plant good to give it a good shake every now and then......makes it more vigorous and thriving. So you may want to get a larger plant container....soon!
    I have heard that tune in years! Got me movin'! thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jim:
      I've tried that theory on San Geraldo. It went over like a lead balloon. (I learned that plant-shaking from the Dowager Duchess. But she never said anything about cyclonic winds.)

      Delete
  8. Such problems with the wind, I suggest using spray-net on your hair, it keeps the perm in place even in a tornado. I wonder why your House staff is not doing all this work with plants, you need your beauty sleep.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Laurent:
      Well, my house staff (aka San Geraldo) DID do all the dirty work. As for spray-net, sadly my hair was blown off (yes, I'm sure that's what happened) a while ago.

      Delete
  9. So you were right about the winds returning very soon. Our winds knock down trees rooted in the ground and laugh at us as we wake up and deal with it.

    If I could just wire every tree down on the property!

    Boy, is that stupid or what.

    SJ needs to show you some respect and wake up or not!!

    Winks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ron:
      We get lots of downed branches and palm fronds around town. But in the time we've been here, we haven't seen a tree come down. I'll have to take another photo of San Geraldo's latest wiring job. I would love to see it done large-scale on your property.

      Delete
  10. You need to put that thing in a terracotta pot or something heavy to balance the tree. It's plastic pot is insufficient to offer proper support, it would seem...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. TB:
      You're absolutely right. Had we known how powerful the winds could be here, we would have used clay pots. Instead, we saved money by buying plastic and we thought, "Besides, they're so much easier to move." We were sure correct on that count! But the yucca is once again anchored to the walls and it won't go down again (famous last words).

      Delete

Please visit www.movingwithmitchell.com if you would like to comment or stay up to date. I stopped posting here and reproduced all previous posts, as well, 25 September 2018. Thanks!!!