Tuesday, August 4, 2015

The Duchess And The Streetwalker

The Duchess
My Mother The Dowager Duchess seems to have turned the corner in her recovery. Saturday was a much better day. Sunday, better still. And today, Monday, the best yet. She's making huge strides in physical therapy. She's got just a little discomfort from the beautifully healing surgical wound. She looks great. And she's smiling a lot more. I'm hoping to arrive at the hospital one of these days to be told it's time for her to head to rehab and get completely back on her feet.

The Streetwalker
As I've mentioned, I've been spending quite a bit of time walking the streets of Brooklyn. Sadly, I haven't been showing any profit. (Well, unless you consider my health and well-being). The walk to the hospital and back is about 1.5 miles (more than 2 km). I usually add another 3 to 5 miles of walking to each day. I love to share photos that demonstrate the eclectic look of Brooklyn's neighborhoods. It's not just three-story buildings with fire escapes, as you can see in these photos of the residential neighborhoods I passed through last week on my way to Jay and Lloyd's Deli (click here).

Come to think of it, maybe I'd have more luck walking the commercial areas!














13 comments:

  1. Brooklyn looks so suburban. We did venture to Brooklyn once and it is quite a contrast to the other side of the river. Pleased to hear your mother is doing so much better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A bit of everything in Brooklyn by the looks of it. Some very grand homes there.
    Happy to hear you mother is moving forward, Mitchell......literally, I guess.
    In no time she will be back to her ole self.
    Good that you have substituted the beaches in Spain for the streets of Brooklyn!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the different architecture of these great old places.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the tour, and, if you pass by it again, ask the people who own the house in picture #7, the one with the topiaries, if I can by it for whatever loose change I find in the couch, plus a few thousand more.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've not seen photos of Brooklyn before; looks to be a nice place.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your photos remind me of one of the things I remember from Brooklyn: lots of wrought iron. It's everywhere! Keep 'em coming!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So happy your mother is feeling better and I have NO doubt you are a huge part of her healing all around.
    I took a walk down memory lane scrolling down through your photos. My HS best friend lived on Ave. C which we reached on the F train from the city. At night in summer with windows open you could hear the "ding, ding" of the EL subway car doors 2 blocks from her place!
    Those brick homes are spectacular with some truly great architecture. The large, deep ones remind me of main family house in "Moonstruck". Thanks so much for the photos.
    Kudos for walking through all the recent metro humidity. It's good for you in every way.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've been to NYC, but never Brooklyn. These pictures explain why people love it so.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love those old brick buildings. We don't have anything like that here as everything is made of timber frame design. So glad she is in good spirits and is on the mend!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Brooklyn looks like a nice place to live. It appears by name in so many programmes we get on UK TV but I had no idea what it really looked like.
    I'm glad your mum is doing well. It sounds like she's really on the mend now.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I see that trees really do grow in Brooklyn....

    ReplyDelete
  12. She''ll be walking those streets with you soon!

    ReplyDelete

Please visit www.movingwithmitchell.com if you would like to comment or stay up to date. I stopped posting here and reproduced all previous posts, as well, 25 September 2018. Thanks!!!