Saturday, November 14, 2015

Spotted Dick In Spain


Our favourite English-style restaurant here in Fuengirola is, as you might already know, Sandpiper. Chef/Owner Jason recently added two new desserts. Jessica told me about them.

One of the new desserts is "Treacle Sponge," a traditional British dessert of sponge cake drizzled with treacle (golden syrup) and often served with custard.

Jessica was very unhappy to learn that the other dessert was called "Spotted Dick." I've heard of it before — the dessert, I mean. Well, come to think of it... Oh, never mind. Anyway, the dessert is commonly made with suet, flour and raisins, and served with custard.

Jessica (Spanish) was appalled and told Jason that, until the new menus were printed, she would write the desserts on a piece of paper. She was not going to say "Spotted Dick."

A few days later, there was more to the story. Ana, Jessica's mother and Jason's life and business partner, was told about the new desserts.

"Spotted Dick," she said.

No problem.

But then she tried "Treacle Sponge."

With Ana's Spanish accent, "Treacle Sponge" sounded like "Treacle Spunk." And no matter how many times she tried, it always came out the same.

When Jason stopped laughing, he told her what "spunk" was. Jessica had already told her about "dick." Ana said she would not be selling either until they were printed on the menu.

Friday night, I ordered Spotted Dick to share with San Geraldo.

When Jessica brought the dish to the table, San Geraldo asked (cluelessly), "Does the spotted dick have nuts?"

Jessica stood in stunned silence.

San Geraldo continued (still clueless), "Because I hate nuts."

Jessica walked away before I could tell her that I usually eat San Geraldo's nuts.

SPOTTED DICK, NO NUTS.
TREACLE SPUNK... I MEAN SPUNK... AHEM, SPONGE.


"Me mother says I must be quick to get me bit o' spotted dick."

27 comments:

  1. To quote Henry Higgins, "Why can't the English ... learn ... to speak?" (Tom and I were watching "My Fair Lady" a couple of days ago. Wonderful movie for language nuts. Uh, make that language fans.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Michael:
      You DO know what a fan[ny] is in England, don't you? Nothing is safe.

      Delete
  2. Just desserts, Mitchell, just desserts! And you will get yours. ;-) That is a rousing song. Not sure if I could bring myself to eat spotted dick, although the photo is more appealing than the name. I am sure SG is happy that you take care of his nuts; truly an act of kindness and love on your part.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wilma:
      And interestingly, the name has nothing to do with what you (WE) would think. However, there is one county in England, and all its restaurants, that agreed to forever refer to the sweet as Spotted Richard.

      Delete
  3. Mitchell it looks delicious but I think it is too sweet isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosia:
      The custard is of course sweet, but the pastry is not. Good balance.

      Delete
  4. Spotted Dick is delicious.It's a pudding with tiny raisin-like dried fruit. When I was traveling in England with a couple of women friends, we ate at a pub where you place your order at the bar. After our main course, I went to the bar and asked if they had any "spotted dick." The fellow seated there said, "No, but the last time I looked, there was a wart on it."

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've only eaten spotted dick once and I really liked it. (I'm going absolutely no further)

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOLOLOL!
    You're hilarious, Mitchell!
    I'm with Ana on this one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jim:
      At least her daughter can sell some Treacle Sponge.

      Delete
  7. Poor Jessica.
    She'll be reduced to hand signals.
    No, scratch that, too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm laughing too hard to even make a proper comment!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm cracking up at the post and the comments! I don't know whether to order those desserts or say, "You should get that looked at..." :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Michelle:
      No question about Spotted Dick but Treacle Spunk might be interesting...

      Delete
  10. Oh, the jokes write themselves! Or, San Geraldo does it for you. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Walt The Fourth:
      As if I didn't have enough for this story, along comes San Geraldo.

      Delete
  11. Your posts crack me up... and the comments! Oh My! You did bring back memories of when Bill & I were visiting England several years ago and I had to try every dish I wasn't familiar with... the jokes we made were quite similar... some things just don't change ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sharon:
      You wouldn't find Spotted Dick on an American menu!

      Delete
  12. British food - bless'em! And such odd sounding names.
    As usual you are keen with the doggerel doings about food.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Spo:
      And then there's always San Geraldo for another punchline.

      Delete
  13. Replies
    1. FS:
      Next time, I suppose I'll have to try the Treacle Spunk.

      Delete

Please visit www.movingwithmitchell.com if you would like to comment or stay up to date. I stopped posting here and reproduced all previous posts, as well, 25 September 2018. Thanks!!!