Thursday, January 27, 2011

The Giralda with Gerald, Ending with a Bit of Bull

I have some photos that I finally downloaded from my iPhone.  There were several shots taken Sunday during our tour of Sevilla's cathedral and our climb of the Giralda, the cathedral's bell tower.  One thing I don't have is a shot of the Giralda itself from the outside.  I'll have to get that the next time we're in the neighborhood and the weather is right.


THE CLOISTER WAS ORIGINALLY THE MOSQUE'S COURT OF THE ORANGE TREES.

The tower's first two-thirds are the minaret begun in 1184 and completed in 1198.  The top was added when it became the cathedral's bell tower.  A spiraling ramp takes you up most of the way.  This was used by the riders on horseback who went up the tower five times a day to give the Muslim call to prayer.  Above that point are stairs taking you up the "modern" bell-tower addition.

BEST WAY TO HANG A CHANDELIER, I THINK.

Back in the cathedral itself, four kings, pallbearers representing the regions of Aragon, Castile, Leon, and Navarre, carry Columbus's tomb. Even in death, Columbus was on the road (at sea) quite a bit.  He was first buried in Spain, then in Santo Domingo and the Dominican Republic, then Cuba, and finally back in Sevilla.

TOMB OF COLUMBUS.  BEAUTIFUL TOMB, BUT I'M NOT A BIG FAN OF THE MAN.

The views from the tower, as we climbed and once we arrived at the top, were spectacular.  Unfortunately, it was so bone-chillingly cold, rainy, windy, and miserable that day that I didn't pause very long for pictures.

THE VIEW NEARING THE TOP OF THE TOWER.

I am happy to report that today was sunny and a lot warmer in Sevilla than the day these pictures were taken (or the last six days for that matter).  So, my next post will include photos taken at the stunning Plaza de España in blue sky (with some white clouds for added effect) and sunshine.

A BIT OF BULL

ELMER & ELSIE... WELL, ELMER & ELMO.  NOT FOR THE KIND OF HEART.

Jerry and I had a great dinner last night at a restaurant with a serious bull-fighting theme.  The food was excellent, but we will definitely not become bullfighting fans (and there's no surprise there).  I got over my foul mood and was my usual charming self.  I'm sure Jerry enjoyed every moment of my brilliant conversation and sparkling personality.

I THOUGHT IT WAS A FAKE.  IT WAS THE REAL THING!

1 comment:

  1. Just wanted to say that I am loving the tour of Spain you are giving me.
    It's a vicarious thrill, but a thrill nonetheless.

    ReplyDelete

Please visit www.movingwithmitchell.com if you would like to comment or stay up to date. I stopped posting here and reproduced all previous posts, as well, 25 September 2018. Thanks!!!