Saturday, May 17, 2014

The Colors Of the Sea, And Something Stupid

The surf has been rough for a few days. It's not yet "season," which means there are no lifeguards regularly on duty. So, the flags are not usually flying along the beach. If there had been flags this week, they would have been red. The undertow and riptides are clearly dangerous. The seas have been multi-hued and patterned. Breathtaking. The tides have been so high that the beach clubs have all pulled in their first two or three rows of lounge chairs, which were all swamped yesterday afternoon. The first six photos below were taken yesterday from our terrace. (Click any image for high tide.)







San Geraldo and I took a walk yesterday afternoon. The surf was wild. It was completely overwhelming the fishing jetty not far from the port. We walked out toward the stone jetty for a closer look, but not close enough to be at risk.

NO FISHING...
NO STROLLING.  NO SITTING.

As we marveled at the sea's power and beauty, a guy swaggered out on the jetty. He was lucky he wasn't swept onto the rocks. There was an instructor leading a group of surfers in a nearby bay who called from the water to warn him off. He was ignored. Finally, the jerk strutted proudly by us, chuckling as he went. He seemed disappointed when no one applauded him for his outstanding stupidity. Who, I wondered, would have risked his own skin to fish this guy out of the water?

AND THEN ALONG COMES TONTÍN.
ON THE EDGE...
BARELY KEEPING HIS FOOTING... 

ABOUT TO HEAD HOME.

The sun comes and goes today, so the sea is constantly changing color. The final six photos were taken a short time ago over a period of perhaps four minutes.







28 comments:

  1. I just LOVE the ocean in all it's forms from ferocity to serenity. The action of the waves draws me in / holds me / and releases. Having ocean around me at all times has obviously done this to me, I'll be OK.
    That guy was definitely a whacko.....putting other people at risk because he wanted to show off.....must have a small one if you know what I mean.
    Your ocean views are spectacular M&J ~~ love the Med colours!!
    Ron

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ron:
      I love it, too. It's hypnotic. I agree about the whacko. I won't judge people for risky choices unless their risky choices put others at risk. As for "small one," that's what we would always say about those guys on the road with their monster trucks.

      Delete
  2. WOW! The ocean is very powerful and dangerous if one doesn't use common sense. That guy was very lucky!
    I wonder if the full moon had anything to do with the rough seas and therefor extra high tides? They were every high here for the past few days.

    Your photos, Mitchell, are wonderful! Good job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jim:
      I'm guessing it was all about the full moon; the sea was pretty calm today. But I also wonder if there was storm somewhere. Thanks!!!

      Delete
  3. Beautiful photos, Mitchell! I'm so glad for you and San Geraldo to have such a great place to inspire you everyday. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Judy:
      Some days I take it for granted. I try really hard not to.

      Delete
  4. Mitchell, I can admit you are a lucky person you live in a paradise. Definitely.The sea and palm trees so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosia:
      We get spoiled and forget how beautiful this is.

      Delete
  5. Idyllic pics without doubt - but I was wondering about, being the Med, that you have such high tides as you talk about. Does your proximity to the Atlantic mean that you get some of the big ocean effect, much more than, say, the Greek end of your 'pond' does'? Just curious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Raybeard:
      That's something I've wondered about. But I really don't know. The Mediterranean Sea here is relatively calm, especially as compared to the Atlantic and Pacific coasts. I don't know how it compares to the sea along the other coasts. A research project!

      Delete
  6. I love sight and sound of crashing waves (watching, not being an idiot trying to drown myself like that guy). It is so amazing what power the Sea has. I bet you have a great view of them from your balcony.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheapchick:
      There is no sound more relaxing for me than the sound of the surf. The view from the terrace (and sound) is amazing. The first 6 and last 6 photos are just some samplings of the view. We have a corner terrace and have breathtaking views in all directions. I need to remember to be grateful!

      Delete
  7. I want to sit under that lone tree

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't know how I'd get anything done if I lived near you. I'd spend all my time staring at the sea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stephen:
      I do! Some days I'll be standing on the terrace just lost in the view and I'll look down to see Dudo and Moose next to me doing the same thing.

      Delete
  9. And you get to see that every day? I would be unemployed.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm with Maria on that one.
    Oh wait, I'm already unemployed. Okay then, no cookery would occur before dark.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jacquelineand....
      It takes a bit to get used to the idea that the view isn't going anywhere. Then you'll start preparing lunches again. I have a hard time staying in bed and not getting up to see the sunrise over the water.

      Delete
  11. Those were some really great sequences there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ms. Sparrow:
      I could watch (and snap) all day. It's changes constantly.

      Delete
  12. Replies
    1. Spo:
      A video would have been good that time. I didn't catch the most dangerous moments.

      Delete
  13. How beautiful and nice to live at the Beach.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I can't believe he was just sauntering along out there. IDJIT!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Knatolee:
      He didn't just saunter. He strutted. Obviously doesn't live near the water, has no respect for its power, and is clearly an IDJIT!

      Delete

Please visit www.movingwithmitchell.com if you would like to comment or stay up to date. I stopped posting here and reproduced all previous posts, as well, 25 September 2018. Thanks!!!